In fact, it was an ultra-modern fridge which was seen as a ‘BIG PUSH’ for the entire Dagbon mortuaries. We all celebrated it and praised our brother for such thoughtfulness and generosity, but we forgot that such an ultra-modern fridge could have best fitted in an Islamic morgue, had we one in place already. I personally praised and prayed for Alhaj Farouk for the good job done, and it didn’t cross my mind that he is wishing death for the people of Yendi.
Obviously, Alhaji Farouk only offered the community what they needed most at the time, hence their priority. Do not tell me the fridge was not meant for Muslims, but for Yendi hospital. Really? It would be hypocrisy at its best to celebrate a gift of fridge meant for non-Muslims, yet hate the idea of putting up morgues for Muslims. Or you rather wish the non-Muslims alone death, for which you were jubilant? I don’t think so.
Interestingly, both NDC and NPP have from time to time sought to be considerate of the religious demands of various faith groups and included them in their manifestos, and sometimes make oblations with them in their quest for power. I don’t need to remind you of the yet unsettled debate over the national cathedral which cost the nation some luxurious bungalows of judges and other private establishments.
I didn’t see any Christians making a mockery of it in the name of party colors. Despite all the noise from social commentators, a sod was cut for the project and demolition took place regardless, and the justification was that it was the President’s campaign pledge to God. Later, we were told that it would not be funded by the state.
For those who insult, bemock, and try to make political gains out of the promise, kindly hear me out; if you are really Muslim, then I take it that you lack adequate knowledge of Islamic practices. Take some time away from politics and pay some visits to any Islamic jurist who is well endowed with the sciences of Islam. Find out from them the relevance of this policy to the Muslims in this country should Mahama succeed in delivering his promise in the event that he wins elections.
If that doesn’t help you enough, let me bring your mind back to some past such exclusive policies which were successfully implemented and how it helped the Muslim communities within and even outside Ghana.
1) The introduction of Arabic literature in the G.E.S syllabus has gained a significant number of Muslims’ descent livelihood. Let the Zongo Mallams testify to the benefits they derive from the Islamic Education Unit and its related units.
2) The decision by President Mahama to send 200 Muslim students from Zongo communities to Cuba to study medicine was, and still applauded by the Muslims because they found it to be the first step to achieving their goal of having an Islamic health system. It is due to its relevance that the current President under the ministry of Inner City and Zongo Development decided to continue the policy. Think about what will happen when we finally have 600 Muslim doctors in this country who truly appreciate the Islamic values in health care delivery. How about when we have thousands of them in the next twenty years?
3) The decision by President Nana Akufo Addo to single out a ministry solely to cater to the concerns of Zongo communities is historic not because he did it, but because for the first time, Muslims are clearly represented in the cabinet and in policy formulations. The reactions of the Muslim community signals great approval. The reason is simply their faith.
4) The decision of President Mahama to upgrade the Tamale airport to international standard and subsequently making it a second Hajj center over the past years was remarkable, the current administration saw the need to maintain it because the results are obvious; it has to a great extent made Ghanaian Muslim pilgrimage one of the best in Africa, and by far, the world. Why did the Muslims welcome it? Simply, for their faith need.
5) The current vice president was to a large extent considered the best choice for the second man slot in NPP on the basis of his faith (Muslim). It was indeed a good bait which worked. Doubt it or not, it has impacted on the electoral fortunes of the NPP. The results is obvious.
6) To serve the interest of the Muslim students, a number of presidential directives were issued by President John Mahama, enjoining heads of institutions to respect the female Muslims relative to their veils. Ask the Muslim students to brief you on the relevance of those directives.
What we should understand is that, the political environment is fast changing as the Muslim communities now rise up to their identity and self-recognition. The special Morgue promise did not fall from sky, and I hope also that it is not just a desperate canvassing element, rather, it was the concerned people who carefully and selectively put it in the People’s Manifesto after meeting the manifesto committee. This suggests therefore that, attacking the person of John Mahama because of this policy is the same as attacking the intelligence of the same Muslim community leader who tabled it for consideration months ago.
You should be curious about this. You should be alarmed by the voices of the leadership of the Islamic council and other Muslim organizations in defense of this policy. If you still want to lampoon Mahama on this, watch the background first – For the Muslims don’t really care who builds these morgues for them. All they want is to have their own morgues which shall operate in accordance with their norms.
You can be blinded by power, you can be blinded by temporary glitters, but my humble advice to both NDC and NPP party faithful and communicators is; DO NOT think of the Muslim community the same way you think of the other faith groups. Muslims do not see their religion as a cash cow, we see it as our all in all. Petty Monetary gifts do not move us.
When we tell you we are Muslims, it means Islam runs through our blood and we do not compromise even slightly on our norms. Give a Muslim a choice between a well of gold and the opportunity to bury his dead peacefully in accordance with Islamic practices and his choice will shock you; you will find out that your gold is not worth his shit.
I expect any smart campaign manager to immediately call his people to desist from touching this proposal, and rather, present a better alternative to win the approval of the Zongos, otherwise, this proposal is widely enveloping the approval of Muslims. They need it as much as they need air to breathe, and they will definitely vote for it unless a better alternative is found.
Find below Part 1 of this piece;